Thursday, July 7, 2011

Up Next: Super Mario 64


Yup. The granddaddy of the 3D Platform genre and one of two launch titles for the N64, Super Mario 64 is a legit piece of gaming history.

As revolutionary as Pong, Space Invaders, or even the original Super Mario Bros., Mario 64 ushered in the era of 3D gaming, and introduced an entire market to controlling something with an analog thumbstick. Nowadays there's sticks all over controllers, but in 96 this thing blew minds and melted faces.

Behold.


Never actually owning an N64 during it's lifecycle, I purchased one years later and caught up on what I'd missed. Given that fact, it's strange how much nostalgia this game conjures up in me. Something about the graphics, music or simply the level design - or maybe just because its Mario, but there's something about it that makes me feel like a little kid alone in my room.

This is an important game in the journey for several reasons. Primarily its a successor to the game at the top of my pile of shame: Super Mario Bros. Secondly, it's a predecessor to my favorite game ever - Mario Galaxy. And Finally, it's such a critical piece of gaming history that to not have experienced it in it's entirety is a damn shame. I'm goin for a full 120 stars here too. I did it twice in Galaxy, what's stoppin me from doing it here?

BAM!

Why I Never Finished It: 
Like I said, I didn't have this at launch, or even during it's life cycle. I didn't play it until 2004, and I bought it along with a bunch of other discounted N64 games as I was just trying to experience everything I could with the system. So I never had a lot of time to dedicate to it.

I've started from the beginning maybe 5 or 6 times and have never gotten more then 40 stars or so. But now it's time to do it.

Bowser - I'm coming for ya, you disgusting, princess stealin bastard!

1 comment:

  1. Have fun, it's better than SMG or SMG2. Curious what you'll say about it being someone who played the games out of chronological order of release.

    ReplyDelete