Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Up Next: DOOM


Oh snap. 90's PC gaming. Even though I'm playing this on XBLA, its still as nostalgic as ever. 

Doom is one of those games that I have really fond memories of despite never owning. In fact, I didn't even own a computer until 1996 or so...This would be the first thing I ask to play when going over to friends houses though. We would take turns or one guy would move and the other guy would shoot. Good times. 

For years, too, I would always call any new first person shooter game a "Doom game". I mean, could you blame me? I know Wolfenstien was the first major one, but Doom brought it to the mass market. Everyone on earth has played Doom. I heard a story last week on NPR that those kids in third world countries who are getting those donated laptops are using them to play Doom. 

Why I Never Finished It: I got this on XBLA a couple years ago, playing only through the first half of episode one. I found myself getting frustrated with the old game design. For example, the games many buttons and levers open doors or new passageways, but you're given no indication as to which passageways were opened. In games of today, you hit a button and you get a cutscene showing you not only which door was opened, but often, the easiest route to get there. Couple the mystery doors with rooms that all start to look the same and you have a recipe for a rage quit. 

Not this time though. I'm going into the heart of Hell to rip out Satan's awful heart. Let's do it!

4 comments:

  1. Doom and Quake both are just so awesome. They're actually some of the scariest games I've ever played, thought most people think of them as run 'n' gun extravaganzas. I've never thought RE was scary, and I've never really played an Silent Hill games, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the PC compilation of Doom titles a few years ago, but never played them. I am thinking I should install it and play along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count - I'm surprised how scary Doom is. Especially after the first episode - the demonic imagery is unsettling, even in pixelated 16 bit graphics.

    Silent Hill 2 and 3 are among the scariest games in existence, and Condemned: Criminal Origins is another. I literally screamed and threw my controller at the TV in fear from that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark - Do it, man!

    It would be great to get some parallel opinions!

    ReplyDelete