Friday, January 7, 2011

Still Playing: Shadow Complex


I've been sick for the past couple days. This has pretty much sequestered me to my bed, which fortunately for me, is in the same room as my 360. I've gotten a good four hours into Shadow Complex and have had a relatively good time doing so.

Shadow Complex is based on the Super Metroid blueprint and the developers make no effort to hide their inspiration. There is even a subtle musical nod to the SNES classic in one of the levels. And while Epic Games put a ton of effort into letting Shadow Complex sing its own song, there's just something missing...it doesn't resonate the way Super Metroid does. I don't find myself thinking about the world after I turn it off, or humming the tunes from the game. It lacks that indefinable "sticky-ness" that so few games from this generation are able to achieve.

That's not to say I don't like it. It's certainly a finely crafted experience. It just fails to live up to its inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment