Monday, September 13, 2010

Up Next: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets


I know, I know. A licensed game. A licensed Harry Potter game, no less. Let me explain myself.

I bought this game for $4 after reading this Destructoid article from last year - part of a series called "Games Time Forgot" that I loved reading but it seems they have since abandoned the series. In this article, the author says that this is the best Harry Potter game out of the lot of them on the market, and said it drew its inspiration very heavily from the Zelda franchise.

Well, I thought, I'm a pretty big Potter fan, and a pretty big Zelda fan, and a pretty big fan of only spending $4 on a game. Sold. 

The game is OK. The inspiration from Zelda is definitely apparent, and EA did an admirable job in making the game feel distinctly Potter-esque, but the game is not immune to the maladies of a movie licensed game. Loading times are frequent and lengthy, camera angles are often difficult to work with, voice acting is "meh", and the writing is "barf". 

It's certainly no Donkey Kong Country, but neither is it a Mario Galaxy (my favorite game). It's "edible" to put it in food terms. Not delicious, but not rancid. I'll eat it and probably be full afterwards. 

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for PS2. Let's do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment